Mi Familia

Mi Familia

Saturday, December 11, 2010

The "S" Word

Don't Hurt Me.....

This word can make a woman cringe, curse you out, and shout threatening words. The "s" word is the "baddest" of all curse words and can cause all fury to come down upon man. It has caused fights, debates, and agony just by someone saying the "s" word. Tell them to cook, clean or take care of the kids by themselves, but don't say the "s" word.

When people realize what this word really means it becomes something totally new. This word creates peace and serenity, joy and happiness to the atmosphere where it is practiced. It is a word that was once used freely with no problems or issues associated with it. No, it's not sex.

So women, don't yell at me, scream at me or squirm in your seats, because that word is "submit". I've heard girls say "your wife is very submissive" as if it's a disease with no cure. "That's a thing of the past" they say about being submissive to your husband. Not knowing it is the very thing that has caused me to be faithful and giving to my wife. So let's forget that the bible actually tells the wives to submit to their husbands just for a moment. What are the benefits of submission? Many people won't be able to relate to my answer and some may think it's unrealistic, but you won't actually know until you try it.

So, when you submit to a man (God fearing man, otherwise its a boy), you allow him to have peace in his home. This means he would rather come home than go to some other girl's house that isn't going to ask him 101 questions about where he was. Submitting obligates a man to do something for his woman. Buy roses, clean the house, do the dishes (something he doesn't usually do). You can't just try this for a few days but you must be consistent or they will think this sudden change is a game that will soon end. When you submit to your husband, he will no longer have the need to give his attention to another woman because he feels you aren't listening to him. Trust me, when a man tells you something, he is watching to see if you will do what he says, or what someone else says. But many women have their own thoughts of submission.

Let's start with the myths and misconceptions of submission. Here are some of the things that it DOES NOT MEAN:  I can't have an opinion. I can't speak back. I can't question what he tells me. I must cater to whatever he wants all day every day. I am his stepping stool.

That is a man made opinion of submission, but God does not want to "shut the woman up". A submissive woman is a woman who questions their husband sometimes. It's ok to ask questions. Need an example of how that's true? Ok, Jesus, being fully submitted and submissive to God questioned him in his final days walking the earth. He said "Father, why have you forsaken me?" So even Jesus had some questions for his father and didn't think it was a horrible thing to ask for understanding. But even when he didn't get an answer or didn't understand, he went with the flow. He had trust in the person he submitted himself to.

Submission is simply trust. God wants you to trust your husband with your life. When your husband gives financial or spiritual direction for the house, trust what he says and help him (as the help mate) make it happen. Why is it that men can tell a woman outside of their home to do something and they will do it in a flash, but when they ask their wife, they will find a reason why they shouldn't listen or do what he has said? Women should give their advice and speak their mind (in love) but trust your husband through his failures and misconceptions. When he knows and feels that you will follow his direction, he will soon put you in the driver's seat to make decisions for him. Isn't that better than fighting over every decision made in your house? Many times you won't agree, but after you have stated your reservations or ideas, trust your husband and go with the flow.

You can't trust that he will make the right decisions all of the time because you don't make the right decisions all of the time. But if things are in order, you can trust God to turn everything around for your good. You can trust God to bless your home with peace and joy. To let you live life more abundantly. I hope you have married well. If you married a fool, you have to trust a fool. But know that "All things must work for the good of those who love the lord." You follow God's ways, and he will always be with you. This is a subject that comes with many questions, so leave your comments below and email me your questions. Until we meet again...

9 comments:

  1. I like this one, because that is a point that many miss, you are suppose to first of all be with someone who believes in what you believe in, then it will be no problem to submit to him because he will not abuse it, he will do his part and lay his life on the line for you, as it says in that same Bible men like to quote (and it's men who often hate everything the Bible represents, but like to use THAT ONE part about submission to try and control women they are not handling in a biblical way in the first place).

    It's the patience to wait on the right man that is the problem...and I speak on that one from experience, since I divorced the first man I married! In all the years dating since, there was only one man who voluntarily took my hand when I was giving thanks for my food while out with him, and made me start over cause I excluded him. I wasn't use to men wanting to pray with me, whether they said they went church or not. Made me realize him, maybe I just didn't want to wait on a guy like him to come around cause it would have been a long time...or maybe i assumed they wouldn't want to and maybe if i had been more open about how i am or want to be, they would have been open to it. It was a very close feeling to pray with a man I'm interested in and attracted to...way more romantic than a lot of what passes for first dates these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very true. The first step though is for a woman/wife to be open about submission. She must let all the misconceptions go like you say if not it will not work. I have to say that it is so easy to read it than to put into action but the point is to try for the sake of the family. I also believe this is ONLY if the man is worth it and he is doing his part as the man of the house, if not than the woman needs to reconsider the fool she married. Thanks Jermaine for such inspiring words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The use of this word loosely can DEFINITELY start something! My husband and I are Christians and I don't think I ever heard him even mention the word "submit". But I do so happily and I trust that, as the head of our household and a man after God's own heart, that he can make a sound decision AND I get to work to help make it happen!

    I also believe that it allows me to have a little more freedom,as a wife and mother,.. in addition to peace, and UNITY in my marriage and household.
    A parallel verse to this is 1Ptr 3:5-- "...holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands.."
    I also like the verse in relation to the husband's role... 1Ptr 3:7--"Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may NOT be hindered"

    ReplyDelete
  4. HMMM...I had never thought of this word in this sense before. As a single person I feel a slight anxiety about getting married almost as if I may lose my independence, strong will, or individualism. I have sometimes felt (when looking at some married couples) that some women have done just this and become what appears to be life-long servants...something I definitely won't be signing up for.

    So coming from person who is somewhat of a feminist, I appreciate the words. They have eased my mind about maybe one day (if it's the Lord's will) getting married.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay Jermaine you have hit GOLD with this blog. I remember my wedding day laughing at the Pastor saying in the vowels SUBMIT. I was thinking ya right yall don't know my momma or grandmomma. You let me borrow a book when we visited you in Cali about becoming a submissive wife and I thought u were nuts. However, I will be the first to say and admit that YOU are TOTALLY and utterly right. If a woman learn to submit, her husband will give her the World and His life willingly. He will do things that WE only dreamed he would do. How do I know becz I submit to my husband & see the changes quite often. Delvin nvr folds clothes but 1 day last week guess who folded clothes & had them put away? Correct MY HUBBY! I almost flipped out. He has changed in more ways than I can say. The book spoke of submitting to the Spirit of God in the man instead of looking at you are submitting to a man. Recognize the God in Him and trust that God will direct your husband in the way that you should go. That is what saved me from going crazy plenty of days. Thanx brother this blog is WELL needed and stated for all WOMAN because we do carry an issue with submitting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a very good one, might just put you on my pastorial team of counselors

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!… But you know me well enough to know I have a lot to say and yes this may be lengthy. I agree submission is a word that many woman have taken issue with but I must say this fear and misunderstanding of the word is mostly derived from misusage and varied application by men who are saved (but unstudied) as well as those men who are unsaved (that heard it was somewhere in the Bible and works on women). It never ceases to amaze me how The Word utilized out of context can foster generational misinterpretation, misunderstanding, and misconduct. Regarding the topic of submission, the misuse of the word (by both genders) has led us to the constant male versus female battle for respect in the home. There are men (in past history and today) who have utilized the word submission to institute control rather than introducing the concept as the biblical way to lead a Spirit-led relationship (which should be every saved couple’s goal). This utilization has been passed on by their wives, sons and daughters as a result of their experience. Truth is, when speaking of submission we must consider the CONTEXT of the passages. We would do ourselves an injustice by taking one verse and stretching its meaning without considering the other verses and conditions surrounding it. God gave both men and women an obligation within these passages [Ephesians 5:21-33; Colossians 3:18-25]. Yes, women were commanded to submit to their own husbands. In the same breath-- men were commanded to love their wives as Christ loved the church. Let’s not overlook the role of men in a Spirit-led relationship which is metaphorically compared to Christ- who set an example of sacrifice, undergirded by a divinely orchestrated purpose to reconcile and restore an underserving church--but for God's grace. In essence, I believe that both men and women should hold themselves accountable for their respective roles in a Spirit-led relationship and assist each other in meeting the mark (knowing that each of them are not perfect). Speaking of one concept without coupling it with the other typically causes division and presents a deterrent for both men and women from living by The Word. I'm just saying.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Preach Sister Candace, If the goal is to inform based upon opinions derived from scripture then, will you agree that maybe the subject of submitting maybe addressed from the perspective of what God ask of wives without mention what He ask of men. After all when God address us, He never mentions the other person and when I must give an account to Him, He will only hold me accountable for me. Your point is valid but I hope our author is not trying to address one AND LEAVE THE OTHER UNDONE or believe it to be less important. matter of fact from my perspective if man "Is the Head" then understanding his role is Most important.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree totally with what Pastor Mose Smith, jr. has stated,"If man "Is the head" then understanding his role is MOST important. Now that's powerful! You see, if a man understands his role as "the head" then being submissive would not be an issue!

    ReplyDelete