Mi Familia

Mi Familia

Monday, October 11, 2010

Simplicity of Marriage

Husband and Wife Becoming ONE = Inherent Friction

Be the change you want to see in your spouse. Marriage is one of the most complicated and simple things we can experience in life. It’s complicated because all people are different, making every marriage different. It’s simple; because there is actually one place we can all go to and find the solution. I will talk about the solution soon, but what about our problems and issues?

One of the most common issues we have in marriages is TRUST, but not the trust you may be thinking of. I’m speaking about the trust in yourself, your perspective, and your opinion. Many of us have held on to what we feel is right and how we should be treated based on what we have seen from our parents, grandparents and even television, without asking, what if they all have it wrong; or what if their way doesn’t work for me. Unless our views and opinions are fundamentally sound, we are holding on to the views and concepts of failure. Pretty soon you feel frustrated, trapped, and divorce feels like the only inevitable and unavoidable choice.

Self control or lack thereof is another reason why we find many things unbearable. Whether your spouse can’t keep on their clothes, or maybe you can’t close your mouth, they both have the same underlying problem; lack of self control. Maybe you have been holding too much control; control of what your spouse can and can’t listen to, watch, or even spend. All of these things can drive your spouse Crazy, but its always the other person’s fault, or is it? While many of these things can be traced back to the MAN not taking his rightful place in the home, both men and women have their equal share of the blame.

Be encouraged, there is nothing wrong with you!! To your surprise, there is also nothing wrong with your spouse. Don’t take it personal (though this can be difficult). It is simply something wrong with the way you think. If there was something wrong with YOU, you would be in a helpless and hopeless situation that all the help in the world couldn’t bring you out of. Thank God it is just our mind, the way we think, the information we have let settle in our minds that is not based on the Wisdom of God. We change our minds everyday, which means your life and situation CAN change (when you read that, actually believe it).

Believing is the solution to your problem. You must first believe in the one true source, which is Jesus and doing things his way. Most of us say that we believe in Jesus, God, our savior, etc. and will have a ‘fit’ if anyone says different, but its more to believing than just saying it (even though that’s a good start). Hear what I am about to say and let it sink in…..

When we give up on our marriage, we give up on God.
When we give up on our spouse, we are saying God is not able.
When we hold on to unforgiveness, we are telling God we do not want him to forgive us.
When we say that there is no hope, we are telling God that he is not bigger than our situation.

For God said, “YOU can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens YOU.”

I can tell you assuredly that God IS in fact ABLE. Not only that, but he said that he can do exceedingly and abundantly beyond all you can ask or even THINK. Many of us are thinking that the only way out of our situation is divorce, when that is only the easy way out and doesn’t solve your problem. You’ve tried it your way for so long and you have received the same results. Webster’s Dictionary definition of a fool: One who acts contrary to moral and religious wisdom. Let us not ignore God’s perfect Wisdom, which is to walk in his principles.

Be the change you want to see in your spouse. We are always asking God to change the person we love so much, when we learned to love them just as they were, while they were still “acting a fool”. We hung in there when they were our boyfriend/girlfriend, but as soon as we get married, we want a divorce. We have it twisted. When we enter into marriage, we are saying “I know you have issues, but we will work them out”. That WE begins with ME. How do I get the priviledge of not changing, but my spouse MUST change. My change is not based on their change, but change begins with ME. If our change is not based on the word of God, our change is based on our ever changing opinion. We all know what happens when two strong opinions come together. Make the choice to be the change you want in your husband or wife. I hope you received some direction and were encouraged. Comments are welcome. Until we meet again…..

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your wisdom! This is a message that many need to hear! Love what you are doing! Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I missed out being the first person to comment. This is excellent. I wonder who or what inspired you to start a blog? Definitely keep it coming. For now on when ever I run into someone with marriage problems I'm going to send them to your blog. That's going to save me a lot of time and energy. You are now officially preaching the word of God. Preach on my brother, preach on Pastor/Reverend Jermaine Octavius Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed that word...please keep em comin...that reminded me of those days when I would come over to the hse to do Jamina's hair...you always had a word for me...I love you guys and miss you dearly....kiss the kids for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to thank you for the words you have shared in the "simplicity of marriage" I have been going through some pretty tuff times in my marriage and I have pretty much said these same words with my spouse, the one important part of the conversation was that I left God out of the conversation... That was my biggest mistake that I intend on changing. There is one thing I tell people all the time when discussing marriage and that its "EASY to walk away from a marriage, but its HARD to make a marriage work" maybe I'm saying this wrong but its easy to walk away from something but there is an effort that must be made to make things work between you and your spouse and that you have declared yourselves before God and man to do your best and to make it work. Thank You again for your words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im really impressed with this Jermaine! This is really insightful. I will definately be passing this along. Keep blogging. Speak your mind. Share your wisdom. Shine your light!!!

    -Rissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Relevant as well as timely wisdom and council. It's comforting to hear and be assured that a father's daughter is being cared for by such a great God fearing son (not son-in law). What a blessing Jermaine !

    Pops

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome word! It gives me great pleasure to witness Greatness being birthed, Man of God. God is never obligated until we get in the game. We know that God has placed greatness in us but to many of us are still on the sidelines. Your Mom and I celebrate 42 years, Sunday October 10th, Thanks to your Rhema Word, w...e can be re-tooled and armed to complete our commitment to each other: till death do we part. Love Ya, Dad(known by some as Pa-Pa).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jamaine. This is an excellent read and you are absolutely right. Change starts with our own way of thinking and we have to agree on the source. Otherwise we are unequally yoked. When we put God first, the inherent friction becomes a smoothing out as oppose to a destructive fire. Thank God He is smoothing me out. The commandment to Love my wife as Christ love the church and my wife choosing to submit especially when we disagree is not always easy. It's funny how the more we give God control; the more control we gain over ourselves. I appreciate you posting this blog because it sparked a really interesting conversation between the wife and I. I pray your strength in the Lord as you continue to inspire. Love & Respect...Cory Love Quarterman aka cuzzo

    ReplyDelete